The distinctive role of medical residents in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) is essential to keep health facilities running smoothly at one of India’s busiest airports. There have been several instances where CSMIA doctors have provided timely assistance to passengers in need.
A recent example would be a 67-year-old male passenger traveling from Bombay To Dubai. The passenger complained of fainting episodes accompanied by malaise and profuse sweating. Medical history revealed that the passenger had diabetes, hypertension and ischemic heart disease and had undergone angioplasty 12 years ago. After a careful clinical examination by the CSMIA medical team, the passenger was suspected of having an acute heart attack (acute myocardial infarction of the lower wall) as well as high blood sugar and heart failure. Immediately, emergency medication was administered to the passenger, and he was notified of urgent hospitalization with a consultation from a cardiologist.
As the passenger was traveling alone, his son was contacted and informed of his condition. After his son’s consent, the passenger was transferred to Nanavati Hospital by the airport cardiac ambulance, and he was accompanied by airline staff and the airport medical team. Initial investigations at Nanavati Hospital revealed that the passenger had a 100% blockage in the right coronary artery as well as some blockages in the left circumflex coronary artery for which angioplasty was performed in a timely manner. The post-operative passenger recovered well and thanked the CSMIA medical team for their early diagnosis and quick decision-making skills that helped save his life.
Between 2010 and 2020, the CSMIA medical team took care of more than 2,06,238 medical cases. Of these, approximately 2,600 cases were serious medical emergencies, which were immediately transferred to nearby hospitals by CSMIA airport ambulances. On average, CSMIA physicians treat about 60-80 patients per day and about 1,800-2,400 patients per month.
In the wake of the pandemic, CSMIA undertook meticulous efforts to establish a foolproof medical support system at the airport.
- At any time, five doctors are available at CSMIA-02 in Terminal-1 and 03 in Terminal-2.
- CSMIA currently has the largest number of Medical Rescue Centers (with 04 Medical Centers and 03 First Aid Centers) than any airport in India, which are operational 24X7 and are located at key locations in the airport.
- It is also the only airport with the highest number of automated external defibrillators (AEDs) – 119 AEDs installed at various strategic locations in the terminal where the nearest AED recovery time is no more than 03 minutes when a passenger collapses with a sudden heart attack. Stop.
- CSMIA is also the only Indian airport to have 07 ambulances (04 Advanced Life Support and 03 Basic Life Support/Crash) available at the airport 24/7.
- More than 2500 stakeholders and employees of CSMIA including Immigrations, CISF, airlines etc. are trained in the use of CPR and AED by conducting regular in-house training on AED and CPR by the team of CSMIA so that crucial vital measures are launched even before the airport. The medical team arrives on the scene.
CSMIA has a central emergency number 022-66850108 (airport contact centre) accessible 24/7, which can be dialed by passengers/visitors/staff for any emergency at CSMIA, including medical emergencies, so that the nearest medical team can get to the scene as soon as possible.
The location of the airport medical centers is as follows:
- Terminal 1 near the staff entrance gate.
- Terminal 2 Level 4 Departure near Island M
- Terminal 2 Level 2 South-West Quay
- Terminal 2 Level 2 South-East Quay
The location of the first aid centers is as follows:
- Terminal 1 inside SHA near departure gates
- GA terminal
The aviation industry, given its unique service offering and nature of operations, often comes with a set of challenges and responsibilities that require a distinct set of thinking and expertise.
*All airport medical centers and first aid centers are available 24/7*